Sometimes disregarding a more complex understanding of the mechanisms of society can lead to surprisingly enlightening conclusions... and a way forward.
Not much intensive listening of late. I've been taking it easy. Aside from a really enjoyable listen to Helmut Lachenmann's "Dal Niente" for solo clarinet last night, I've been enjoying more Beefheart and Zappa than usual. Especially Beefheart. The album Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) gets better everytime I hear it. The song "Love Lies" is one of his best. It has me thinking alot about non-standardised instruments. Instruments/voices that have not been tempered so as to fit into a universal mold... the way that many western instruments are tuned to equal temperament tuning, and have wolf tones and excessively lush harmonic timbre's removed.
Another vocalist that has inspired these thoughts is Phil Minton.
I am composing again. The Piano Cello Clarinet piece is back on the table after I realised last week what the piece is "about", which inspired fresh enthusiasm and ideas. I need to have it finished soon though. Additionally I have freshly sketched ideas/reference sheets/etc. for 3 or 4 new pieces.
No comments:
Post a Comment